Affordable Housing

Who can apply for subsidized housing?

The following applies for each member of the household:

Each member must be a Canadian citizen, landed immigrant (permanent resident), or refugee;

At least one person in your household must be 16 years of age or older and be able to live independently;

If you or any member of the household has arrears owing to any social housing provider in Ontario, Access to Housing will require confirmation that the member has entered into an agreement with the housing provider for repayment of the arrears before your application is processed;

Your application will be rejected if any member of the household has been convicted in court or at the Ontario Rental Tribunal within the last two (2) years of an offence related to rent-geared-to-income housing under section 85 of the SHRA or a crime under the Criminal Code of Canada in relation to rent-geared-to-income assistance.

If anyone in your household has a financial interest in another home anywhere in the world, you must agree, in writing, to divest yourself of the property within one (1) year of being housed. You do not have to make this decision before you apply but you will have to make it before you get housed.

How can I apply?

To apply, visit the site that corresponds with your geographic area and fill out the required applications:

Algoma District Housing: RR#1, 1 Colver Road Thessalon, ON P0R 1L0
Phone: (705) 842-3370 | Fax: (705) 842-3747 Website: Click here.

Manitoulin Sudbury District Social Services Administration Board – Housing Services Department: 86 Centre Street Espanola, ON P5E 1S4 Phone: (705) 862-7080 | Fax: (705) 862-7226 Website: Click here.

Sault Ste. Marie Social Housing Division: 180 Brock Street Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6A 3B7 Phone: (705) 946-2077 | Fax: (705) 946-5628 Website: Click here.